Transfer from ANutr to RNutr

If you are a Registered Associate Nutritionist with approximately three years professional experience in nutrition you should look at starting to put together your application to become a Registered Nutritionist. 

How to apply as a Registered Nutritionist

All forms and guidance documents can be found here.

Your transfer application must show:
• That you have kept your professional knowledge up-to-date.
• How you have developed your nutrition skills and competence through professional experience since graduating.
• That you now have practical experience of all the competencies required.
• That you continue to abide by our Standards of Ethics, Conduct and Performance in your practice.

Registered Associate Nutritionists are expected to apply for registration as a Registered Nutritionist within five years of joining the UKVRN.

How to prepare for registration as a Registered Nutritionist
Your transfer application will be much easier to prepare if you:
• Try to keep the required competencies in mind as you develop your skills. through Continuing Professional Development (CPD) and through your work.
• Record your work and learning as you go.
• Collect pertinent information such as certificates or proof of conference attendance.
• Use the additional guidance available in the Registrants Associates’ area of the website: Resources and video footage from a seminar on "how to prepare you portfolio", CPD and reflective practice resources.
• Stay in touch with AfN so you are aware of any changes made to the UKVRN over time.

What counts as “professional experience”?
Professional experience is work experience gained in nutrition-related roles undertaken after completion of your degree programme.

Some degree programmes offer a sandwich year. Whilst this can provide you with value experience to start you in your career, it does not count towards your professional experience for transfer as this will have been undertaken before you completed your studies and had studied all of the ANutr competencies. Your professional experience must be from activities undertaken after you completed your first nutrition science degree. The only exception, is that you may use work/volunteer/research experience from prior to the completion of your nutrition science degree as evidence you meet some CC5 sub-competencies relating to general professional conduct knowledge and behaviour (such as PC4, PC9, PC10 and/or PC11).

If you already have an undergraduate degree in nutrition science and have used this qualification as the basis for your ANutr registration, any time spent studying towards a subsequent MSc or PhD in nutrition science counts as professional development/experience. Please check Competency Requirements for Registered Nutritionists to determine whether the scope of your work and/or postgraduate study experience is broad enough to meet all of the competencies required for RNutr registration. If not, you will need to gain further experience or undertake additional CPD in the gaps you have identified before being ready to apply.

Volunteering work undertaken after your degree was completed can also count towards your professional experience, it does not have to be only paid work that you can use as evidence. Please read through the Competency Requirements to judge whether the work undertaken was of the type, scope and level required to be used as an example of your application of knowledge. 

Please note - Registered Nutritionists are required to demonstrate that they have independently and consistently applied their knowledge to different situations.


Registrant Login

Log In

If you are a UKVRN registrant but have not created an online account, please click here to set up your username and password

If you have forgotten your username or password, please click here to be sent a reminder.